Mar 26, 2013

The Lake Misadventure

When you've been awake for 28 hours straight, sometimes you make a few bad decisions.

After an even longer night than usual, I began another day of absolute cabin fever. The day before was my birthday, but I was too sick to do anything other than stay in bed. It was my fourth day in a row of this and I was going absolutely of my mind, or as I call it "I just want to leave the house insane". Despite finding it quite exhausting, I made up my mind to go for a walk outside in the fresh air. How does the song go..."I wanna be where the people are". I was so sick of laying down that even-though I knew it would be difficult, I really wanted to go for a walk to the lake. Not going to lie, it was a Top 20 Bad Idea. At-least it didn't make The Top 10.

I took advantage of this rare opportunity of possible human interaction to get dressed...in real clothes! With my most comfortable pair of shorts and my Standford sweatshirt on, I was ready to go. My outfit needed one more thing though, a non sickly looking face! I didn't look this way because of the treatment or from actually being ill. Sickly is my permanent shade. Smashbox should make a color just for me. I'm so fair skinned that I tend to look grey; add to that purple bags under the eyes and people assume that I'm dying on my best days. I desperately needed a bit of make-up to help me look less horrible. Don't get me wrong, foundation was as far as I went. A full face of make-up..."ain't nobody got time for that!" I finished the outfit with my favorite black converse; oh what a mistake. They look so much better than tennis shoes though...I had to keep it cute.

There are two ways to get to the lake: the freeway or the trail. I chose to walk, which was another mistake! All day I thought about the better choices and deliberately went against them. I guess if this is my Hep Rebellion, then it's not too bad. I considered how far the trek really was and decided that I didn't care, I just wanted to be out for as long as I could.


The trail to the lake begins in a flower filled valley. All you need is Julie Andrews skipping through the purple grass, serenading you with "The Hills Are Alive" to make it feel completely unreal. I usually have a friend with me, but being all alone, I had my music to keep me company.  As I went along, getting lost in the music, I realized that it was the beginning to every "Criminal Minds" episode. I was completely alone in the field, at least I hoped. I enjoyed my time alone, feeling as though the quiet valley was all my own. I soon came upon a little forest, surrounded by a little garden. This was the first place that I decided to rest. It felt like I had traveled miles already.


To get from the valley to the lake, you must conquer a hill as tall as Mt. Everest; it was difficult even when I was at my most fit (and not on treatment). While climbing my own private Mordor, I was lapped a few times by a runner. Every-time they came back around, I held my breath a little to hide my unflattering dry heaving. A more intelligent person would have taken a moment and figured out that it was probably time to stop. Oh, but not me! The harder the walk, the more determined I became to get to the lake. Clearly, I have a rebellion problem.


After what felt like FOREVER, I finally made it to the lake. I sat by the water ready to eat, but I soon noticed the wave of geese coming towards me, all led by a demonic swan. The minute that the evil little birds think that you're there to feed them, they come like the zombies in "Land of the Dead"; stalking you from the water. It's the most terrifying thing to see at a lake, other than Jason Voorhees of course.



I backed away slowly from the horrible animals and continued down the lake. I can only imagine how I looked at this point. I was beginning to get a little light headed and had moments when my feet would go the opposite direction of where I had intended, I must have looked like a giant drunk baby. I should have gone back, but of course I didn't. Honestly, I really wanted to find the baby cows. A dangerous task when the mothers have a tendency to stampede if you get too close. The last thing I wanted was to end up on the 11 O'Clock News for being tackled by a cow. I kept wandering until I started to feel extremely sick. My whole abdomen began to cramp at the exact moment that I ran out of water.  Realizing how badly I had screwed up, I started the long journey back to my car, which was two miles away. I tried my best to not look sick, I didn't want anyone to think that I was just badly out of shape. I have my pride after all! Each time I found a bench to fall onto, a fit person came running my way. I'd jump up as fast as a partially collapsed person could; avoiding all eye contact to keep the delusion that "I didn't look a hot-mess" alive.

With every step, I found myself in more pain. I just wanted to get to my car. I really wanted to sit (ironically) and take off my converse that hurt so much; obviously the reason that they make tennis shoes. When I finally made it to my car, I felt like dying. Next time I'll drive to the lake, or just be a bit smarter; maybe drag one of my very busy friends along. My long journey did help me get to sleep; I was only awake for 22 hours that day.


4 comments:

  1. You must understand how beautiful that looks too me right now! I need to go wherever you are.

    idratherstayinbed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also thanks for getting The Sound of Music soundtrack stuck in my head.

      Delete
  2. Your blog is so so so cute! I love it :)
    So glad I found it!

    Just thought I'd let you know I'm having a MAC lipstick giveaway which ends tomorrow. You can enter the giveaway by clicking here It would mean alot if you could enter! Good Luck :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis