Mar 29, 2013

The Prince of Portlandia

Once upon a time, there was a strange and magical land where all those who lived were cursed. Those marked by The Evil Witch could only see through black framed glasses, could only hear the sounds of soft Indie Rock and were forced to wear internal-organ-crushing skinny jeans.               
    This magical land was known as Portlandia.

Portlandia had long been segregated from the rest of the Enchanted Forest of Oregon. An evil witch had spelled The Land and turned all of her subjects into ogres of which she called Hipsters. My quest to Portlandia was in search of The Prince, destined to save The Land from this evil enchantress. The task was too great to be fought alone; I needed my most trusted friend, Eve.

The journey from The California Castle to this faraway land was long; it seemed that we would never find our way. To bypass the treacherous Enchanted Forest, a dragon carried us upon its back. As we finally spotted Portlandia, the dragon slowly dropped to the ground, never alerting the cursed-knights to our arrival. We soon found a weak spot within the Portlandia Gate and silently slid through.
 
The Witch's curse within The Ghostly Manor

We traveled until we found The Ghostly Manor where we'd hope to hide as we continued our search for The Prince. As Eve and I entered, we quickly realized that it had been cursed as well; it was stuck within a time loop, stuck in 1850. As we sat at the ancient tables, a palm reader suddenly appeared offering to relay my fortune. I couldn't exactly place what I'd felt, but I knew that there was something off about her. The old hag violently grabbed my arm and began to read the lines of my hand, revealing that my life was soon to change. She wouldn't disclose the details of the life altering event; for that required money. Refusing to pay, her face suddenly began to change; her bones began to break and reassemble right before my eyes. She was The Witch! Eve and I ran, never resting until we came to our little room, the only place she could never enter. We cautiously examined our hide-away, looking to see if the ghosts of her victims still lingered within. It wasn't called The Ghostly Manor for just any reason.

...we didn't stop until we came to our little room.

Seeing The Witch face to face made us even more determined to find The Prince. We headed for The Center of Portlandia where we could stay in the shadows, keeping out of view of her Hipsters who would most certainly trap us within the curse. Eve and I searched The Enchanted Land for hours until we came upon a group of prospective princesses sitting outside a strange place called The Roseland; The Prince must have been inside. The little ladies created settlements around the walls to wait for their precious ginger. I began to study each of the ladies, scanning their eyes, unveiling their intentions. I soon noticed one that seemed to be far different than the rest; her smile was a bit...off. All of a sudden she let out a cackle that could only come from The Witch herself. She must have changed her face in the hopes of winning The Prince's heart! We couldn't let that happen. Eve and I had to find a way to stop her.

We returned that night to rescue The Prince, unsure of how exactly it could be done. We stood outside the walls of The Roseland, watching...wondering who had become the hidden witch. Panic set in as we realized that we would soon be surrounded by thousands of possible evil witches...completely unprepared. 

 
The little princesses, or The Witch

 The Witch never made her move against us and we safely found our way inside. To our delight, The Roseland had been divided in two: The Peasant Level for all of the prospective princesses younger than 21 and the Royal Box for those of us a little older. Eve and I quickly ascended to the upper level to convene with the other royals as The Witch was left with the peasants; her young disguise forced her to remain with all of those who she greatly despised. Suddenly, we heard a blood-curtailing scream from The Peasant Level; The Prince had arrived, and he had begun to sing. I'd heard tales of his voice, but with every word I fell in love. The Witch must have been angry when his spotlight came upon me and The Prince and I locked eyes. One of the jealous princesses soon cried out, "I JUST WANT TO STROKE YOU!" in hopes to gain his attention. The Prince continued his song and our eyes met once again.
 
The Prince
 
The Prince sang for hours, but after his melody "You Need Me, I Don't Need You", he suddenly disappeared; I became worried that The Witch had done something. All of those in attendance were forced to leave, a princess wouldn't be chosen that night. We sat in the Royal Box, hoping to somehow spot him. Soon, one of The Witch's armed guards found us...and we ran for our lives. Extremely tired and hungry, we visited a local shop called Voodoo Doughnut, the creation of The Witch's younger and more beautiful sister. These magical cakes contained both power and bravery. To earn them however, we had to recite a spell. My cake required the use of the phrase, "Triple Chocolate Penetration", something a lady should never say. I soon felt powerful, I could fight anything; a dragon: a Hipster, The Witch. I wasn't the only one who needed to be prepared, Eve did as well. She used the spell, "Old Dirty Bastard"'; not the language of a proper woman indeed, but she started to feel a little braver. The spelled cakes required time to fully work, so we began the journey back to The Ghostly Manor, leaving the prospective princesses waiting at The Prince's window, from which he never appeared.

As we awoke from our voodoo slumber, we set off to find the ancient magic that would aid us in our fight against The Witch. We traveled to the source...Multnomah Falls. The water from the mountain contained more magic than The Witch could ever hope to see. For years it had been protected by her younger and more beautiful sister, where else would the Voodoo Doughnuts get their power? We found ourselves a carriage to bring us to The Falls. Soon, we would have everything that we needed to save The Prince.

Multnomah Falls Magic Shoppe
The Falls

We traveled to the bottom of the mountain to collect some of the magic within the water. The entire time that we knelt near the magic pond, we could feel someone watching us. The Falls was crowded that day and there was no way to tell who exactly was staring. Eve and I began to walk back to The Magic Shoppe; we needed to learn how to work the spell. As we walked in, we were immediately met by a woman called Amy. She pulled us away from the crowd; she could feel the eyes watching us as well. Within moments, we were attacked! One of The Witch's ogres had found us. How do you fend off a Hipster? Eve and I hadn't a clue, but Amy seemed to have an idea.  All of a sudden, a box appeared and inside was a pair of Ray-Bans, a penny-board, a camera and a type-writer. The ogre stopped in his tracks, he couldn't help himself. He grabbed the penny-board, put on the Ray-Bans and immediately began to ride around the shop, taking photos and compulsively writing about it. While The Hipster remained distracted, we ran. We continued to run until we were sure that no one was chasing us. Neither of us knew how to use the magic from The Falls, but as I tried to catch my breath, I noticed a small piece of paper crumpled in my hand. Amy somehow managed to give me the words to complete the spell. All that was written was...

"Give Me Love"





                                                                                                                                                                   
These are my photos from my trip to Portland. I was going to just write a blog about it, but decided to make it a little more interesting. This is my fairytale version.


Eve: Fake name, my friend doesn't have a fairy-tell name 
The dragon: the plane 
The cursed-knights: TSA who search me every-time I go through security
The Ghostly Manor: The White Eagle Bar & Hotel
The Prospective Princesses: All of the teen girls at the concert
The Prince: Ed Sheeran
The Roseland: Venue of the show
The Royal Box: The 2nd level where the bar was, no teens allowed
Multnomah Falls: Actually Multnomah, no magic
Voodoo Doughnuts: Actually Voodoo Doughnuts, no magic
Triple Chocolate Penetration Spell: My doughnut: vegan chocolate, with chocolate frosting and coco puffs
Old Dirty Bastard Spell: My friend's doughnut: yeast doughnut with frosting, Oreo and peanut butter
Give Me Love Spell: My favorite song
The Witch: The too-cool-for-school vibe of Portland
The Hipster Ogre: The too-cool-for-school people of Portland



Yes: Some girl screamed "I just want to stroke you" AND I did lock eyes with Ed Sheeran. It was awesome.


4 comments:

  1. This is one of the best posts I have ever read, haha! and I am SO JEALOUS THAT YOU SAW ED OMG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go again but I'm pretty sure I'm 10 years older than everyone who goes in American. I'm legit the chaperone. I was so happy that there was a bar floor in Portland.

      Delete
  2. So far I've been there twice. What a wonderful fairy tale version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Portland is way too cool for me. I need a hipster to show me around.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis